Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Maybe fetuses feel no pain

Check it out

This I imagine is probably true. From what I've learned, the thalamus is very much the relay center for all the pain pathways; neurons transmitting information to the frontal cortex on pain synapse in the thalamus or the anterior cingulate gyrus. Which apparently aren't developed by the time first trimester abortions are performed. I'd go back and check my notes, but I have a date with The Adonis in half an hour and have to get dressed... so I will later.

When I think about the future, I often wonder whether I could perform an abortion. Ob-gyn makes a lot of sense to me right now, given that I want to spend time on obstetric fistulas in West Africa. But then there's the question of how I would practice here in America... and while I've aborted mouse fetuses for my lab work, I haven't quite worked my feelings on humans out yet. I guess I'll go ahead and marinate on that over Thai.


I'm listening to
Nico: Chelsea Girl

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.