Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Great Escape

As my semester inexorably draws to an end, I can't help but wonder what made Blur's paean to middle-class boredom The Great Escape my go to album. First it was Country House, then It Could be You. Or the other way around, either way they overlapped. Then Yuko and Hiro and He Thought of Cars. And Entertain Me. Then all of them at once. And Mr. Robinson's Quango. I've never liked an album in this way: as though it were a collection of singles, each of which I've liked in a different way, with no real regard for the flow of the record itself. All that, and I've owned and listened to the album, as an album, since the late 1990s.

I could stretch and compare the repetitive banality of my studying to the most skippable track of The Great Escape, Ernold Same*:
Ernold same awoke from the same dream in the same bed at the same time
Looked in the same mirror made the same frown
And felt the same way as he did every day
but what wouldn't make sense. Maybe I'll just think about it after tomorrow, after Friday.


I'm listening to:
motherfuck, have you heard a word I'm saying:
Blur- The Great Escape

*Ernold Same is the annoying novelty track, akin to Parklife on Parklife or Fitter Happier off OK Computer. Eminently skippable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.