Sunday, December 18, 2005

on the parasites of dance halls

This here article is exactly why I should drop out of school to get a hipster job and DJ: it no longer requires any skill. It just requires the brain power not to be a self-indulgent douchebag. It is not cool to play Rod Stewart's If You Want My Body at a club on a Saturday night. It is not ironic, nor is it quirky or fun. It is, rather, the quickest way to clear the dance floor. Same for an unremixed version of Bjork's Hunter. I love that woman so much I drove four hours to see her and Matmos three summers ago. That said, that shit should not be played unless you can spin something underneath it to make it danceable. And even then, only be in one of the clubs in Cannes circa 1998.

I think that argument got away from me. I miss hearing new music on the dance floor, weird beats tricked on top of good dance music. Watching another boy at his computer wearing headphones for the style while queing the next track on his iPod/iBook is just not fun enough. If I'm taking four hours away from the gut-wretching grossness that is worm infections, I shouldn't have to listen to this crap.


I'm listening to:
Jesus and Mary Chain- John Peel Sessions
their cover of My Girl makes me want to be a boy making a mixtape for his highschool crush.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.