Thursday, February 14, 2008

Correction and our Sincere Apology

I haven't opened an AmeriCares email since shortly after I gave money for the tsunami. But I saw the above title, and I love a good public relations disaster as much as the next rubber-necking American, so I opened it:

February 14, 2008

Earlier this week, AmeriCares sent its February issue of eNews with an error we would like to correct. In the article “Tenth Airlift Scheduled for Darfur” the dollar value of our aid was inaccurately reported. The article stated: “Since 2004, AmeriCares has sent nine airlifts to North, South and West Darfur, delivering 152 tons of medicines, medical supplies and other critically needed relief worth more than $2 billion.” That amount should be $2.2 million. We apologize for the error.

To clarify further, our tenth airlift, which is currently being prepared, is valued at more than $2.7 million, which will bring the total value of our humanitarian aid to Darfur to $4.9 million.

It is our intent, and our responsibility to you, to be honest, accurate and transparent in all that we do. We hope this clarification underscores our commitment to accountability and to you, our most valued supporters.

Thank you for your continued belief in the mission and vision of AmeriCares. You empower us to make a difference in people’s lives, wherever they are, whenever they need it.

Sincerely,

Curt Welling
President & CEO
AmeriCares

So now I am left to wonder: would I have noticed that it said 2 billion? In this Pepfar world, would I have been impressed? Am I literate? Would I have cared?


I'm listening to:
Songs beginning with the word 'If' in alphabetical order. Currently between If You Ever Need a Stranger (To Sing at Your Wedding) and If You Don't Want Me To Destroy You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.